Recently, a TikTok user posted a video showing a hack on how to make a regular mask more protective. The video has over half a million likes and has been shared over 47,000 times.
In the video, Dr. Olivia shows her technique to secure your mask tighter to your face to make sure the sides of your face aren’t left exposed. Some of the assistants here at Southeast Family Dental use this technique so we thought we would share it with you.
How to Make Your Surgical Face Mask Fit Better in the Absence of N95
Reminder: Make sure you wash your hands before you do this 60 seconds hack.
- Fold your mask in half (lengthwise)
- In each elastic cord strap, tie a knot as close to the corners of your mask as possible. This will help make the face mask fit to the face and not expose to the outside.
- Open the mask up, then make sure to tuck the little openings underneath the ear loops.
- Put your mask on, adjust the nose clip to make sure it fits better. Most importantly, make sure it covers your chin, mouth, and nose.
Dos and Don’ts When Wearing a Face Mask
- Do touch only the elastic cord strap when putting on and removing the mask.
- Do not put your mask under your mouth.
- Make sure your mask covers both your nose and mouth.
- Do not hang your mask from one ear.
- When you want to go to the bathroom, place your mask on a clean paper towel or paper bag.
- Do follow proper hand hygiene before and after removing your face mask.
3 Reasons Why It’s Important to Wear a Face Mask During COVID-19
1. Protect Yourself
Tiny respiratory droplets are released into the air whenever someone talks, coughs or sneezes. A closed environment without proper ventilation can make these particles remain in the air for as long as 8 to 14 minutes. By wearing a face mask, you basically protect yourself from inhaling these potentially harmful air particles.
2. Be A Responsible Citizen
Without the development of a safe and reliable vaccine for COVID-19, wearing a surgical-grade facemask is the next best thing. As responsible citizens, we have the moral obligation to stay informed of issues affecting our community, obey the laws of the land, and respect others. Don’t put others’ lives at risk because we refuse to wear a mask.
3. Preserve Your Way of Life
Without a mask, air droplets can travel as far as 5 meters when talking and as far as 9 meters if someone sneezes. The results can be higher or lesser, depending on the humidity and airflow of the room. Not to mention, the sizes on the droplets. Imagine what that can do to our economy if all businesses, not just dental clinics shut down because of contamination.