What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry involves the use of a commonly prescribed sedative to eliminate anxiety and create a sense of complete calm. You’ll take the sedative prior to your appointment. By the time you arrive at our dental office, you’ll be drowsy, so please have a friend or family member drive you to and from your appointment. We’ll seat you in a treatment chair and give you a warm blanket before we begin your procedures. Your vital signs will be monitored at all times.
Your sedation will make you unaware of treatment details but able to converse with Dr. Geiger, Dr. Jones, Dr. Miller, and our team. You’ll emerge gradually from your oral sedation with little or no memory of your time at our office. Sedation dentistry lets Dr. Geiger, Dr. Jones, or Dr. Miller potentially perform several procedures in a single session. People with busy schedules can get the dental care they need, easily and quickly.
Imagine turning back the clock on your oral health so that you can smile with confidence and chew without pain. No wonder so many patients say, “Sedation dentistry changed my life.”
Who is a candidate for sedation dentistry?
Almost anyone may qualify, including people who:
- Experience mild to extreme dental anxiety
- Have had a past traumatic dental experience
- Experience difficulty getting numb
- Have a sensitive gag reflex or extreme dental sensitivity
- Don’t like the sounds, smells, and tastes associated with a dental office
- Need lengthy or complex dental treatments
- Have put off dental care because of time constrains
- Dislike needles and injections
- Are embarrassed about their teeth
In addition to oral sedation, Dr. Geiger, Dr. Jones, and Dr. Miller also offer nitrous oxide.